Sunday, January 31, 2010

What's on Jane's Bookshelf

What a fabulous idea Lizzie! I hope a lot of you will do this. It's really fun. You may even discover (or rediscover) some books on your own shelf that you haven't read before. Go here to read about her idea.

Alright, here goes.



Aren't they pretty? These belong to my mom. She has a lovely collection of books and these are just a few of them. Here is what's on the shelf:

The Beacon Primer
This is from 1912!

The Story of a Candy Rabbit by Laura Lee Hope
Sounds cute doesn't it? Or, maybe it sounds sad...

Oral and Written English
This is a gorgeous book. Look at it! Wouldn't you like to learn English from a beautiful book like this? I think that text books we have now are just so ugly. And you should see what is in this book. It has things in it like "How to read a poem aloud" and "Making Your Meaning Clear"

A Court of Inquiry by Grace S. Richmond
Written in 1901 or thereabouts. I haven't read this but my sister Aimee has. She loved it. No one in it has actual names but has the most delightful nick names like "The Philosopher" (Philo for short) "The Gay Lady" or "The Skeptic". It also has great illustrations, Gibson Girl style.

The Trail of a Sourdough: Ballads and Rhymes by Charles E. Royal
This is full of intellectual and thought provoking poems like "The Immortal Cootie".

Prairie Tales

Keeping Fit for Fun
What this looks like is a bright and colorful book from the 50's that tries to make exercising look fun. I'm not buying it. ;)

More Friends and Neighbors
A very old reader

Little Fox by Francis Frost

Betsy Ross and the Flag by Jane Mayer

Yipe by David Malcolmson
Has the most adorable picture of a little black puppy on it!

Matilda and her Family by Miriam E. Mason
A story about cats! :)

Commodore Hornblower by C.S. Forester
I read the first in this series this year. So good! If you want to watch the BBC adaptions of these classics go here to my other blog The Three Spinsters.

The Little Lame Prince by Miss Mulock
This story starts with a wonderful beginning: "Yes, he was the most beautiful Prince that ever was born." And I love how the author goes by "Miss" Mulock. Charming!

The Real Book about Christopher Columbus
Not to be confused with the fake books about him. ;)

The Story of Leif Ericson by William O. Steele

Booker T. Washington by Shirley Graham

Charlemagne by Manuel Komroff

The March of Muscovy by Harold Lamb

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
You know, it's strange. I read this book when was probably 15 or 16 and I LOVED the first half of the book and DETESTED the second half. I think because it was such a hilarious story up until the the middle of the book and then it just takes a turn for the worse and goes downhill from there. At least, that's what I thought back then. 10 years later, I might think differently. Maybe someday I'll give it another chance.


Well, that's all! I hope that you all will play this game with us. It's quite fun! I'm looking forward to what Lizzie will write! :)

♥ Jane

1 comment:

SisterlyLove said...

Ooh! I didn't even know some of those books were in there! I love old books! They are so beautiful!

~Margo