Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Out With the Old and In With the New!


Well, hello there! Since I haven't posted since LAST year I thought I'd post something. Ha ha! I know....old joke! But I love it...and it's my blog so I can make whatever kind of jokes I want.

I really want to keep track of what books I have read and want to read this year so I decided to make a list of books I finished reading in 2009, books I started reading in 2009 and books I hope to read in 2010!



2009: Finished
('*' means read for the 2nd time or more)

*Little Women by L.M. Alcott
*Sense and Sensibility by J. Austen
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Mansfield Park by J. Austen
The Deerslayer by J.F. Cooper
The Mojave Crossing by L. L'Amour
Lando by L. L'Amour
Riders of the Purple Sage by Z. Grey
*The Fisherman's Lady by G. MacDonald
*The Marquis' Secret by G. MacDonald
The Highlanders Last Song by G. MacDonald
The Musicians Quest by G. MacDonald
Freddy and the Poppin Jay by W.R. Brooks
James and the Giant Peach by R. Dahl
The Min Pins by R. Dahl
Esio Trot by R. Dahl
Part of the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery
*Anne of Avonlea
*Anne of the Island
*Anne of Windy Poplars
*Anne's House of Dreams
*Anne of Ingleside
Northanger Abbey by J. Austen
To Kill a Mocking Bird by H. Lee
The Old Man and The Sea by E. Hemmingway
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester
The Series of Unfortunate Events books #1-#13 by L. Snickett
The Bad Beginning
The Reptile Room
The Wide Window
The Miserable Mill
The Austere Academy
The Ersatz Elevator
The Vile Village
The Hostile Hospital
The Carnivorous Carnival
The Slippery Slope
The Grim Grotto
The Penultimate Peril
The End
Pygmalion by G.B. Shaw
Bleak House by C. Dickens


2009: Started
*The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
*Emma by J. Austen
*Little Women by L.M. Alcott
The Cat Who Went Banana's by L.J. Braun- Not sure if I like this or not..we'll see.
Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
My Fair Lady by A.J. Lerner- I'm not going to finish this one. I read Pygmalion (which is the book that My Fair Lady is based on) and liked it and then started My Fair Lady but did not enjoy it and decided that I wouldn't waste time reading something that was not enjoyable.



2010: Want to read

Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
*The Fellowship of the Ring
*Two Towers
*The Return of the King
I Capture the Castle by D. Smith
Martin Chuzzlewit by C. Dickens
Daniel Deronda by G. Eliot
The Princess Bride by W. Goldman
Shirley by C. Bronte
Agnes Grey by A. Bronte
The Pickwick Papers by C. Dickens
*An Old Fashioned Girl by L.M. Alcott
*A Rose in Bloom by L.M. Alcott
Cranford and Other Stories by E. Gaskell (thanks Lizzie!)
Master and Commander by P. O'Brian
The Ne'er Do Well by R. Beach
The Girl of the Limberlost by G. Stratton-Porter
The rest of the Anne books by L.M. Montgomery
*Rainbow Valley
*Rilla of Ingleside
Little Dorrit by C. Dickens
The Swiss Family Robinson by J.D. Wyss (thanks Beck!)
*The Narnia series by C.S. Lewis



What books did you all read last year? What books would you like to read in the coming year?

Happy 2010 my friends!
Love,
Jane

7 comments:

Leah said...

I love your list! :D I would say that The Girl of the Limberlost is one of my FAVORITE BOOKS! But if you read The Girl of the Limberlost I would suggest reading Freckles first. Then The Girl of the Limberlost would make a little more sense. :D Happy reading! :D

SisterlyLove said...

Thanks Leah! :)
Oh! For some reason I thought that Freckles was the sequel to Girl of the Limberlost! I will read it first then. Thanks for the recommendation!
What have you been reading?

Jane

Anna Kristine said...

Do you keep a list all year of the books you read? *sigh*...I should do that. I have no idea what I've read this year...
But it's so impiring to read your book list. :)
~Lizzie

SisterlyLove said...

Actually Lizzie, I don't keep a list of the books I read. I wish I did. I just went back and read my blog posts about what I'd been reading and such and then I looked at my bookcase and remembered some other books that I had read. This year, I want to keep a good list of books that I read. You want to do it with me?

Love you!
Jane

Elissa said...

Hello Genevieve! Thanks for your comment on my blog! I love your list as well! Have you read Freckles? That's my Dad's favorite book. I Started Girl of the Limberlost A *LONG* time ago (we're talking like 10 years ago) but I could never get into it, I like Freckles much better! Another amazing G. Porter book is Keeper of the Bees! It's such a sweet story!
We do indeed look like kindred spirits, I've read Lord of the Rings about 3 times, and I want to read them again! :) Oh, and An Old Fashion Girl and Rose in Bloom and Eight cousins too.. I've been longing to read them *again* but I'm making myself finish at least 2 books from each of my categories before I reread anything!

I read the Anne of Green Gables series all the way through last year too! Did you like them? I thought the later, lesser known books were even more delightful than the first few!! Anne's House of Dreams and Rilla of Ingleside have to be my favorites though!

~Elissa

SisterlyLove said...

Oh indeed Elissa! I LOVED the Anne series. I think I liked them all the best. I used to like Anne of Green Gables the "bestest" and was so sad when she grew up and didn't talk as much. But, this time I just loved all the books and especially the ones when she is older. Anne's House of Dreams...I agree! Wonderful.

You know what? I actually started Girl of the Limberlost when I was about 12 or 13 I think and I couldn't get into either. But, I think that now I will be able to appreciate it better. I haven't read Freckles yet. My mom just read Keeper of the Bees and loved it. That will be added to my list soon. :)

Thanks for your great comments!
Jane

SisterlyLove said...

Oh and...I re-read books ALL THE TIME. :) I've read Little Women every year after Thanksgiving for several years now and I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Keep on reading!
Jane