Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Eight Cousins


Well hello there! I'm Jane. Nice to meet you! I hope that you will enjoy this little book blog we have created. We will update it as often as we can with reviews and thought on the books we love or don't love. We hope that you will feel free to comment and let us know what you think of these books!


I found this wonderful old book (above) at a used book store recently for $1. Yay! When I go into used book stores I look for Louisa May Alcott books first. I would like to have a collection of them. So far I have Little Women (given to me by my very great friend, Lizzie. Thank yoooou!), Little Men, Jo's Boys and Eight Cousins. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more.






Eight Cousins...one of my favorite books written by Louisa May Alcott. This cozy little read is about a little girl named Rose who has recently lost both her parents and goes to live with her extended family on "The Aunt Hill" where she meets her eight cousins who happen to be all boys. As you can imagine it is full of funny antics and mischief that can only be thought up by little boys, great capers and scrapes and boatings that make you wish you had grown up at the Aunt Hill. Oh, let's not forget the aunts! They are as funny as the cousins. Each one different but strangely similar (reminds me of me and my sisters....). Aunt Plenty is the Homemaking hero. She's happiest when she's feeding a brood..reminds me of my older sister. :) Aunt Jessie who has four of the boys and loves every ounce of her rowdy boys and the strange things they bring home for her to see. Aunt Peace is peaceful, in spite of her romantic disappointment early in her life, and a wonderful seamstress. She encourages everyone with her peaceful and patient ways. Then there's Dolly, a hilarious little girl who tries to tag along with the big boys. There are many more equally entertaining characters but I will let you get to know them for yourself. So, pick it up and read it. You will not be disappointed. :)

6 comments:

Anna Kristine said...

Oh, I love this book Jane! And what a neat copy!
I love Louisa May Alcott's style of writing as well. :) It's been awhile since I've read this one but I remember falling in love with it and wishing I was Rose and had eight boy cousins that wonderful.
You know, reading this book almost makes you feel like you do for a little while. :)

SisterlyLove said...

Yup! It's true. :) You should read it again my friend.

annamae said...

oooo, i shall have to hunt this one down. Alcott is one of my favorite authors as well, my favorite is "an old fashioned girl". but i'll have to give "eight cousins" a try now. :)

SisterlyLove said...

How perfectly lovely my dearies! I can't wait to add this one to one of my "favorites"! I just know I'll love it! Genevieve do you really think all the "Aunts" remind you of all us perfectly perfect sisters? which of them do you think fits me best? Pray DO tell! love you all so.:)
~Aimee

SisterlyLove said...

Thanks Anna Mae! It's funny that your favorite is An Old Fashioned Girl because that is Anna's (Lizzi's) favorite as well! You gals ARE twins... :) Yes, definitely read Eight Cousins. It is very lovely.:)
Love,
Jane
a.k.a. Genevieve of The Three Spinsters

SisterlyLove said...

Let's see Aimee...you are most like....hmmm...I'll have to think on that. Maybe the high fashion one.:)